AFP Charlotte is pleased to announce that it has received AFP International's 2012 Ten Star Award. The Chapter Ten Star Award honors those AFP chapters that have accomplished many of the key objectives outlined in AFP International's Strategic Plan. The award encourages AFP chapters to perform specific activities designed to increase professionalism within fundraising and public awareness of philanthropy. AFP Charlotte has been a consistent recipient of the Ten Star Award each year.
Many thanks to the AFP Charlotte Board, AFP Charlotte committee members, and AFP membership for your help in achieving this recognition for our chapter!
Think you know all there is to know about fundraising? Are you ready for your next challenge? AFP Charlotte would like to challenge you to do something for yourself this year. As your other 2013 resolutions may have fallen away by now, make a commitment to better yourself and further your professional education this year. Obtaining your CRE credential shows you value the profession of fundraising and combines it with textbook knowledge and real world experience.
The CFRE certification process consists of three parts: a written application, a written examination, and agreement to uphold a code of ethics and Accountability Standards. The application works on a point system, and you must earn a minimum number of points in the categories of education, professional practice, professional performance, and service.
According to CFRE International, the number of fundraisers seeking their first-time CFRE certification in 2012 grew by 17% over 2011 figures. This shows that more and more individuals see the need for and value of the CFRE credential.
AFP Charlotte would like to create customized study groups for those who are interested in taking the CFRE exam. Please contact Kelly Lynn, CFRE, at 704-335-5488, ext. 2122 or or Armen Boyajian, CFRE, at 704-370-3371 or to sign up.
Getting your CFRE credential demonstrates commitment and increases credibility. Make 2013 your year and make it your goal to obtain your CFRE credential. By the way, the CFRE Review Course will be held August 14-15 in Concord prior to the NC Philanthropy Conference on August 16th. More information soon!
By Patton McDowell
I have sad news to report in that long-time member, former board member and National Philanthropy Day award winner Alan Lee passed away suddenly on January 27.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to Alan's family, friends and colleagues at Capstone. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Urban Ministry Center, 945 N. College Street, Charlotte, NC 28206.
There are three great ways to get involved with AFP Charlotte! By getting involved with AFP Charlotte, you have the opportunity to expand your network while giving back to your profession. Added bonus our committees have the most fun.
Join the Programs Committee and help plan AFP Charlotte's 2013 programs! The next planning meeting is March 13 at 3:30 at Crisis Assistance Ministry, 500A Spratt St. Charlotte, NC 28206.
The Programs Committee oversees the largest program of AFP Charlotte, the monthly meetings. Opportunities for committee involvement include:
- Contacting prospective speakers
- Coordinating details with confirmed speakers
- Selecting menus and venue details
- Creating program descriptions for AFP Charlotte website and emails
The marketing committee manages the chapter communications, website and PR. Opportunities for member involvement include:
- Social Media Coordination
- PR and Outreach
- Communications strategy
- Newsletter and Blogs
The State committee handles the NC Philanthropy Conference and AFP Charlotte is the host this year. There are only a few committee positions left so if you're interested, contact Trish Hobson, State Committee Chair, ASAP.
If you have other committee interest check out AFP Charlotte Committee Page to get more information.
- AFP Charlotte 2017 Board of Directors
- Frequently Asked Questions About Legislation
- Share Your AFP Story!
- Board Nominations Now Open
- Conference Site Down - Regular Rates Extended
- Member Confession: Mike Blackwelder, Director of Donor & Community Relations, Safe Alliance
- 2014 AFP Charlotte Membership Survey Results
- LaGrange College Offering MA in Philanthropy
- Member Confession: Jennifer Player, Director, Crisis Assistance Ministry
- SHIFT or FIESTA: AFP ICON Thoughts from a Newbie
- Boards Capstone CFRE Charlotte Committees Communication Educational Programs Fundraising Helmet of Hope Jimmie Johnson Leadership Member Opportunities Mentoring National Philanthropy Day NC Philanthropy Conference nonprofit Nonprofit Organizations NPD Philanthropic Community Programs Scholarship Sponsorship Survey