Writing and compiling National Philanthropy Day nominations can be overwhelming, so we put together a helpful check list of the Top 7 Items to Remember when submitting a nomination.
1. While you might enjoy reading Hemingway in your personal time, writing like him when submitting your nomination is not such a great idea:
Complete, clear and concise is the way to go.
2. Include every organization who benefits from their support :
Include your nominee's involvement in the community so your nomination will reflect the full breadth of their philanthropic impact.
3. Three may be a crowd but it's perfect when it comes to supporting documents:
Supporting material is limited to three (letters of recommendation, newspaper articles, etc.)
4. No one likes to be stood up:
Nominator must confirm nominee's attendance at the awards luncheon in November.
5. Maximize impact
Please submit only ONE nomination for each category.
6. No one likes a double dipper:
A person or organization can only be selected as an honoree once for each category. You can view a list of past honorees on AFP-Charlotte's website here.
7. If you didn't succeed before, feel free to try, try again:
Past applications can be resubmitted; we simply ask that you send an updated nomination form in the current format.
February 13, 2014
February 7, 2014
Robert Touchstone, Director of Development at the Carolina Raptor Center and AFP Charlotte's Chamberlain scholarship winner in 2014, is organizing a meet-up of those AFP Charlotte members who plan on attending the AFP International Conference in San Antonio this March. If you plan on going this March, please contact him with your cell phone and email:
O: 704-875-6521 x204
O: 704-875-6521 x204
February 3, 2014
AFP-Charlotte Has a Place For You
In 2011, I had been a professional fundraiser in a small shop for just over a year. My boss, YWCA's Chief Philanthropy Officer, Anita Self, had taken me to a number of AFP-Charlotte's luncheon programs throughout my first year on the job. I enjoyed each one because 1. I always learned something, and 2. I had the pleasure of meeting some wonderful people. Anita knew everyone, and I benefited.
So, one year into these fabulous luncheon programs and encounters, I felt I had to make my relationship with AFP official and graduate from the handwritten GUEST name badge. I discovered AFP has different levels of membership for individuals and organizations, including one for the young professional: professional fundraisers under the age of 30. I presented this membership option to the decision-makers in my organization, who approved my AFP membership!
Since becoming a member, I have served on the AFP-Charlotte Membership Committee for three years, won the 2013 Chamberlain Scholarship to attend AFP ICON, served on the AFP-Charlotte Scholarship Committee and enhanced my membership with the AFP Small Shop Affinity Group (among other enriching experiences).
I encourage you to let AFP empower you to consider next steps and augment your career, as it continues to do for me.
- AFP Charlotte 2017 Board of Directors
- Frequently Asked Questions About Legislation
- Share Your AFP Story!
- Board Nominations Now Open
- Conference Site Down - Regular Rates Extended
- Member Confession: Mike Blackwelder, Director of Donor & Community Relations, Safe Alliance
- 2014 AFP Charlotte Membership Survey Results
- LaGrange College Offering MA in Philanthropy
- Member Confession: Jennifer Player, Director, Crisis Assistance Ministry
- SHIFT or FIESTA: AFP ICON Thoughts from a Newbie
- Boards Capstone CFRE Charlotte Committees Communication Educational Programs Fundraising Helmet of Hope Jimmie Johnson Leadership Member Opportunities Mentoring National Philanthropy Day NC Philanthropy Conference nonprofit Nonprofit Organizations NPD Philanthropic Community Programs Scholarship Sponsorship Survey
Help AFP recognize diversity within our profession! Looking for a way to get the most out of your membership or kn… https://t.co/PCUOu6i4Zi from @AFPCharlotte
Don't miss our Annual Fund Affinity Group! We will meet on 0 4/4 at 4:00 PM at the Catholic Diocese. Click here to… https://t.co/cmeatKfuF3 from @AFPCharlotte